What is Viar's Boot Camp?
Viar's Boot Camp is a training program that looks at training as more than a one-time event. What makes this training program different from other programs focusing on retention is that this training is more focused and is designed around the needs of the adult learner over the age of 25. Today, the traditional 18-22 year-old student is now the minority in higher education, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Viar's Boot Camp is an intense training program that was developed to provide advisers, administrators, and educators the skills, knowledge, and strategies necessary to help adult learners achieve educational success, while improving the relationship with adult learners and increase retention rates. This training will provide simple techniques to help you be creative and adaptive in your approach. This step-by-step approach will help you reach your adult learner success and retention goals effectively.
What is Included in this Training Program?
This comprehensive training program is broken down into four sections: I. Basics, II. Mission, III. Maneuvers, and IV. Commission. Each step in this training program is designed to build off of the previous. Participants will learn the skills necessary to identify, and address adult learner needs, then will move into the hands-on training portion that will allow them to use the skills that they have acquired in a simulated on-campus or virtual campus scenario.
- New Faculty Training: provide new faculty with the skills they need up front to work effectively with adult learners.
- Staff Development: ongoing training for all staff who work with adult learners
- Professional Development: leading to specific new knowledge or another level of expertise
- Improve Organizational Effectiveness: allow staff to become continually better at what they do, improving on both their own and the college/universities'
- Field Notes: each attendee will receive a "Field Notes" training guide filled with the techniques and tools utilized in the training program that they can reference at any time.
- Certificate of Completion: each attendee will receive a Certificate of Completion for attending the training and stating that they have officially completed the Boot Camp training.
- This training will show new and current faculty and staff that your college or university is serious about what it does, and encourages them to be serious about it too.
- It will make faculty and staff feel that the organization is supportive of them as well.
- Properly training faculty and staff will boost their confidence in their ability to do their jobs as they pertain to working with adult students.
- It will build a team environment that is conducive to learning and will show support of and for the adult student body at the college or university.
- This training will make your college or university stand apart and will show other colleges and universities that you are serious about the relationship that you have with your adult students and truly care about their success.
- Builds enthusiasm and encourages adult students, providing both motivation and a sense of belonging that is essential to adult student success.
Viar's Boot Camp was built around his lived experiences, education, and research. In his book, The Nontraditional Learner’s Guide to Success, he provides, in detail, the methods and approach that he took with his own education and provides insight based on his research with other nontraditional learners pursuing degrees and his own lived experiences. Many nontraditional learners, administrators, and advisors have benefited from my training and book, Kennesaw State University, Eastern Kentucky University, Temple University, Colorado Technical University, and Capella University faculty and learners just to name a few.
He believes that learning is a collaborative process that requires teamwork. Use the checklist below to determine whether you are providing the support your adult students need, or if your college is doing all it can to help your adult learners to succeed. If you feel that your answer to any of these questions is NO, then give me a call and let me show you how to help yourself or your nontraditional learners to achieve all of the success that you or they deserve.
Administrator, Adviser & Faculty Checklist
- What are your retention rates for adult learners?
- Are your retention rates for adult learners where you want them to be?
- Do you feel you are providing an adequate support network for your adult learners?
- How do you help your adult learners overcome the potential barriers that they face as a nontraditional student such as: acclimating themselves into the classroom setting, overcoming technological barriers, time management skills when dealing with work, family obligations, interacting with significantly younger classmates, developing effective study techniques, enhancing verbal and nonverbal communication skills, and learning how to say no?
- Are you meeting the adult learners' expectations?
- Are you over-promising and under-delivering?
To learn more about how Dr. Viar can help your organization call 301-992-2901, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org